So today was another busy Saturday. Ben had a birthday party to go to at 11am in Manteca and both girls had ball games (of course) at 11am too. My cousin's daughter had her first birthday at 1pm, Relay for life was at Tracy High, and we had dinner plans with Dawn and Charlie at 6. With both sets of parents out of town and Brent working all day, I knew I was going to be tired, so I mentally prepared myself to be positive and just get from event to event with a smile on my face.
I had a friend from preschool take Ben to the party and I hauled Bree out to the school for the games. It was a beautiful spring day, but with the little bit of breeze it was the perfect day for pollen and other allergens to be on the attack. I took meds before I left, knowing I would need them. The girls played great and then we headed over to my cousins house for his daughter's first birthday party. I was there about 20 minutes when I had to run over to Savemart to pick up Ben. The girls were fine so I just went by myself. When I got back I found a hysterical Bree who clung to me like she was never letting me go again and found my older girls had stripped off their shoes and socks and had their feet in the very pretty pool. I quickly made it clear (since Hannah was already soaking wet) that we were not there to swim and they needed to find another activity.
The party was nice, but they had a very big yard and every time someone got upset (Ben who was exhausted from his first birthday party of the day) I had to haul Bree across the yard to take care of it or yell (like the crazy lady with four kids) for them to stop. Right around 3 I felt my allergy medicine begin to wear off. I could feel my eyes beginning to itch, the sneezing every 30 seconds began, and my nose began to drip that annoying stuff that you can't blow out but seems to always be running down your face. They were just getting to cake and presents so I decided to try to stick it out. It took a lot longer than I thought and by 3:30 I was done. We took some cake to go and I put kids in the car to head home, knowing that Relay was completely out of the question. Ben and Bree went down for naps, the girls showered, and I took more meds and laid on my bed like I was dying. Brent got home at 5 to help (thank goodness) and I was able to rest and be in some what of a good mood to go out to dinner.
The point to this story (and yes, there is one) is that I think I could have handled the busy day had it not been for my allergies. Every spring I spend about 6 weeks hiding out inside because the winds blow something around that hates me. I sneeze so many times that I can't carry on a conversation, help my kids, talk on the phone, etc. I hide away in my house hoping the painful pressure inside my head will stop, don't bother to put on make-up knowing I will just rub it off and look like a black-eyed monster, and carry Kleenex in every pocket knowing I will use every one. Spring is a very beautiful season, but I can't wait for the dry hot summer when I can be a person again.
2 comments:
Those types of days are awful! You know it's going to be hard, you try to put on the happy face, and no matter what, you pay the price somehow. Now that I have 3 kids and feel totally unprepared to be a great mom to all of them, I have a much better appreciation for you doing it with 4. Hang in there!
Oh yes ... those dreaded allergies. I'm a fellow sufferer, and it gets OLD really fast! Hang in there!
Post a Comment