Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Just a bit grumpy...PMS? or something more

So the last few days every afternoon, I feel I hit a tired time of my day where I just don't want to do anything and I turn into the grumpy Mommy Monster!!! AAAHAA! (I think Dani actually said 'run Hannah!' today.) I'm not sure what's going on? I'm not worried about it, yet it's a little annoying to be tired all of the time. I am expecting that Special monthly moment this weekend (sorry if that's too much info), so maybe that's it. I'm also just sort of in a rut? I'm not unhappy. But yesterday I found myself seriously depressed (mostly about weighty issues) and unable to get myself out of it for a couple of hours. I told the girls they needed to stay in their room until they picked up 5 toys from the floor and put them where they go. I thought for sure this would give me the 10 minutes I needed to just go say a prayer, and get to work. They were in there for almost 2 hours! Don't know what they were doing, but they were occupied! Heavenly Father really knew I needed a break!

I've been hearing from a lot of women recently that they too need something 'more' than wiping bottoms, cleaning house, and cooking meals. Some days I LOVE my mommy job. Just others, I wish I could be doing just something else. A friend of mine wants me to join the gym with her. I can't afford it right now, but maybe something like that is just what I need. I'm a little concerned that my weight is making me tired. I'm the heaviest I've ever been (except pregnant with Dani and Ben, not Hannah though). I have had really bad depression over this issue as many women do. It's not that I care necessarily about what I look like, but I can't DO what I used to be able to do. I feel like losing the weight I need to lose is the same as climbing Mount Everest. Both just seem so impossible and really un-inviting right now.

I have a walking buddy that I walk 3 miles with at 5:30 every MWF. I love walking with her because we discuss so much. She is a grandmother and has many years of experience to my few. We discuss the gospel, home, family, diets, etc and it just goes by so fast. Part of me wishes it could be everyday, but for health reasons this is all she can do right now. I enjoy working out, it's the eating part that I have trouble with. I HATE, yes HATE to cook. I love to bake (not helping much), but HATE to cook. Many nights are spend wondering what on earth I'm going to make for dinner. Most nights it's just me and the kids so we go with stuff they'll eat. Tonight (although I was craving Taco Bell my fast food of choice) I made hot dogs and Mac N Cheese. (Taco bell may have been healthier!) Needless to say this is one of my areas that I must work on. Someone close just found out she may have heart failure because of her weight and my husband (bless his soul!) said I could be next if WE didn't do something soon. (I did appreciate the we part.) So, thoughts, opinions, plans? Anyone have one that I won't kill myself trying to do? Anyone want to walk in the freezing cold mornings with me? Anyone want to get me gym membership? (Just thought I'd throw that one in there.) I LOVE comments so please feel free!

7 comments:

tammy said...

Laura, you need to realize that you are still Laura. Hey! I truly know the feeling that you are talking about. I used to get depressed, but you know what? I am a good person regardless of what I look like. Sweetheart, it is not going to change overnight. You have to work at it and do your best. Hang in there!!!

Unknown said...

I WOULD love to talk to you about this!I can relate to it ALL. For now, try Dinner My Way. We save $$, I always know what to cook and since I split the meals, there is portion control. Not to mention the meals are really, really good! For the rest, call me or stop on by!

Liz R. said...

you should have your thyroid tested. that might be contributing to the way you're feeling. i had mine tested after carson was born because i was so tired all of the time (which i attributed to having a new baby), but my thyroid was "under active). i have to take medicine for it, but it's helped a ton. night and day for me.

Unknown said...

I was going to suggest speaking to your Dr. too. These days they can do wonders!

Unknown said...

I would suggest the thyroid thing too. That's a problem that a lot of women in my family have. I think too that you just need to remember that Heavenly Father loves you exactly the way you are even if you need to make changes. He doesn't care what you look like. And neither do your friends! We love you just the way you are! :)

Poetry of Life said...

Thanks to all! I will try to get in to see my doc. I too know someone with thyroid problems. It actually run on my mom's side of the family! My aunt has hyperthyroid and my grandfather has hypothyroid. Definitely something to try!

Lewis Times said...

Some days I too feel frustrated with what my days occupy. But, "this too shall pass." I wasn't big on cooking and after marriage realized how little I knew. We had a church cooking group that really helped spark interest and give me ideas. One of them was go to Kraftfoods.com. You can sign up for a free magazine that comes 4x's a year. It's full of recipes and gives tips on less calories and more healthful choices. This last issue I already tried 5 recipes and all of them a hit!

Quote of the moment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of
everything. .... They just make the best of everything."