Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Grandpa Reich Passing

The passing of my Grandfather was one of those generational lifetime moments when you realize that one era is ending and another beginning. I've always been the granddaughter. My father the son; and even though my grandmother is still here life has dramatically changed in a way that can never be undone. I realized that soon my parents would BE Grandma and Grandpa Reich. That my Grandparents would no longer be. That I would really BE the parent and that my kids would remember life differently than I did. (I realize that this is already how things are, but this moment made it all more vibrant.)

Tuesday after Memorial Day was the viewing. It has been a long time since my other Grandparents passed. Part of me felt like my dad's parents would always be around, but in the back of my mind I knew that wasn't to be. I was sad for my Grandmother and what it might mean for my family for the patriarch to have gone. But I wasn't sad for Grandpa. He went quickly in comparison to others; only being sick for about 6 weeks. He didn't want to live attached to tubes and machines keeping him alive and I'm grateful he didn't have to be for long.

We asked a friend of our to take pictures at the viewing and funeral so that my sister Christie, who is 9 months pregnant with a girl and couldn't attend, could see the things that the rest of us were seeing. We were grateful to this friend for her grace and poise during such a difficult time. These are pictures taken at the family viewing.








2 comments:

Riddlez said...

What a beautiful post, Laura. I'm so sorry for the loss your family has felt, but grateful to have known your Grandfather. We hope Grandma is feeling lots of love and support. Miss you guys.

tammy said...

I love the pic with his veterans cap in his hands...Beautiful for memories

Quote of the moment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of
everything. .... They just make the best of everything."