Sunday, November 30, 2008

Texas here we come!

For Thanksgiving week, Brent and I decided to visit my sister Christie and her family in Texas. We left at 4 am Sunday morning and made it to Houston by 12:30pm (their time). The flight was crowded, but not too uncomfortable. There was one really awkward moment when the gentleman sitting next to Hannah and I started to watch Snoop Dog videos that were not 4 year old appropriate, but other than that we didn't have any bumps. Now that Ben is 2 he has to have his own seat. We decided to take his car seat on the plane and he was completely content the whole time! It was great!

Since arriving we have spent countless time looking at my nephew Colby (5 weeks old now) and spending time with Aunt TT (Christie). We watched movies, fed animals, taken the dog for a walk, gone to the mall, gone to the movies, and had fun visiting with Uncle Lee's family. Colby is the typical 5 week old wanting to eat every two hours and happiest when being held. We have helped get Colby accustomed to some of his new toys (swing, bouncer, play gym).

Christie is hanging in there. She is tired like all new moms are. I can tell that she is lonely here, which is hard to see. It's hard for other's to understand when you haven't been there. Christie is home alone with the baby all day with no one to talk to. Lee's family is around, but they all have jobs and lives of their own. She doesn't know anyone else that is in the same boat as her or at least another stay at home mom she could hang out with. I think once she goes back to work she will actually be happier. Christie is a VERY social person who needs (craves) interaction. Not attention, but interaction. I hope that our short visit is helpful and will lift her spirits. She is coming to Tracy in three weeks, so at least this little visit can help until she can come visit the rest of the family.

2 comments:

Riddlez said...

I'm so glad your trip is going well. I completely identify with Chris. Even though I'm not nearly as social as she is, being at home all day alone with the baby - no family within in 1000 miles - is really tough. And friends are great, but they do have their own lives. It will get better, but it's hard. Give big hugs and kisses to all.

tammy said...

Happy Turkey Day!!! Enjoy your time in Texas!!! I am sooo jealous!

Quote of the moment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of
everything. .... They just make the best of everything."