Saturday, May 3, 2008

A blast from the past

So a few weeks ago a good friend from church called me up and asked if I wanted to go to Duran Duran with her for free. Her friend that was suppose to go couldn't go anymore and she was just looking for someone to enjoy the experience with. Now, even though I wasn't a huge Duran Duran fan like my friend, a concert is a concert and I haven't been to one for a few years. Not only did I get to go to the concert, SHE RENTED A LIMO! So, a stretch limo (which seated 10 because they didn't have a 6 seater available) pulled up and whisked us off to Concord. It was so great! We had picked up take out and ate and chatted on the way. He pulled up in the VIP parking about 80 feet from the entrance. We were seated in the first section off to the left from the stage, but still had a great view, and we were on the aisle which was really nice.
We got their pretty early and heard a new British band called Your Vegas play. They were pretty good (and I thought their accents were cute!) But when Duran Duran come on, I was shocked. You first have to understand the type of people attending a Duran Duran concert. Mostly upper 20's to mid 40's. Tons of women dragging their husbands and more than a handful of guys with their "partners". There were the serious groupies with signs, buttons all over their shirts or vests, and we saw two or three women trying to get back stage. So when I arrived I was thinking people would act pretty relax and we could sit back and enjoy. Was I WRONG! The women went CRAZY! It was like those old videos of the Beatles where the girls are screaming and crying and losing it. Seriously. It was so fun just to people watch (and I would have been happy with just that because it was hysterical!), but the concert was really good. We were on our feet the entire time, and although my friend and I aren't crazy dancers or anything, we sang and boogied for the whole thing. The sets were good, the lead singer loved to dance (although it was sort of grossing me out), and there was only one instance were a crazy women made it up on stage and security took her off in a head lock when she wouldn't let go of the lead singers pants. I felt though like I was apart of some crazy 80's era thing and it was really a neat feeling.
After it was done, we walked quickly back to our Limo, which scooted out before any traffic and made it home by midnight. I felt so grateful to my friend who let me go. It was nice to have a night out by myself and to feel a little crazy and free again. Thanks T for a wonderfully silly, fun evening out!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was soooo one of those screaming ones! Glad you had fun. Sad that the "love of my pre teen life" kinda grossed you out. :)

tammy said...

I was so glad you could come. It was a BLAST!!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got a night out alone! And the limo ride itself had to be a treat!

Quote of the moment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of
everything. .... They just make the best of everything."