Brent walks into office to find a quiet Hannah who immediately smiles when he walks into the door.
Brent: Hey. Looks like we have to go home again today. (As they walk outside)
So, how come we are crying so much. Do you not like it here?
Hannah: No, I like it.
Brent: Do you not like your teachers?
Hannah: No, I like my teachers.
Brent: Are the other kids mean to you?
Hannah: No they are really nice to me?
Brent: So Hannah, why are you getting so upset at school?
Hannah: Well, It just more fun to be at home.
Seriously! She is not even 5 and a half! She was totally playing the system. On the way home Brent explained that it is not OK to miss school to come home and play. Everyday she came home from school she would have to go straight to her bed to take a nap and stay there until school was over. She also had to miss any extra activities that day (dance, softball, etc). Hannah didn't quite understand until Brent went into her room, took all of her toys but 1 stuffed animal, and put her on her bed screaming! And I mean screaming! She screamed for about an hour and then finally fell asleep.
So Friday comes and we had emailed the teachers that as long as Hannah wasn't a complete interruption, could they please keep her at school. So Hannah sat in a chair from after lunch until the end of the day crying quietly to herself. They asked her multiple times if she wanted to come and join PE, dance (their elective right now) or math and every time she just cried harder so they left her alone. When we went to pick up Hannah she was all smiles because she had done what we asked. She hadn't gone on Yellow, gone to the office, or gone home. All of which was true, but we then explained to her that she did have to participate in ALL school activities. We told her that if she participated all the following week, she would get a pair of sunglasses like Dani (which she has been bugging us for now for months!)
So Monday comes and I don't get any phone calls. I'm thinking to myself, 'she's done it!' Then around 1:15 I get a text from a friend saying Hannah is refusing to participate again. MAN, COME ON! I pick up the girls and Hannah doesn't get to watch TV (no privileges) but we allow her to color and read in her room. Brent and I talked about it and we decided to make sure she was in bed before 8pm and started making her eat some protein for breakfast to help get her through the morning.
Tuesday comes and we make the kids our special protein breakfast (which Ben and Danielle are not to happy about). I decided to talk to Hannah about being brave and how much fun school can be, yada, yada, yada. I then remember that I have a worry stone that Brent gave to me before he left for his mission AND I just happen to know right where it is.
We were so proud of Hannah for overcoming her fears and having four good days, that we decided to reward her with her glasses. She had no trouble posing for the camera!


We love you Hannah! Way to go!
2 comments:
And I keep thinking things will get easier when they are in school. Jeesh.
Good thinking, Mom, with the worry rock. I know Hannah will settle right back in and be a total super star at school.
Congratulations Hannah! You can do it! School is for 12 more years and it can be as great/fun as you make it! :)
Post a Comment