Friday, October 23, 2009

True Happiness

I'm tired, sore, sleep deprived, and house bound just like all new mothers are.
Yet recently I realized how truly happy I am with life again. I love my new daughter. She isn't an inconvenience to rock her at 1am or get up to feed her during the wee hours of the morning. I don't mind changing her diaper 20 times a day, or cleaning her up after she has gurgled out milk. I love talking to her and watching her eyes search around, trying to focus on my face. I think because I know she is my last I really am cherishing every moment I have with her.

I still get up and dress my children and get them out the door, whether going on five hours of sleep or two. I try very hard to spend a little time with each of them alone during the day, whether it be making muffins with Hannah, helping Ben learn how to play on the computer, or helping Dani with homework. I love them and I so enjoy watching them with Bree. They ADORE her. It's really neat seeing Danielle and Hannah, being older, watch how they treat the baby. They want to help rock her swing, put in her pacifier, get her blanket, etc. They want to hold her all the time and I do try to let them each hold her during the day. I think about what life will be like in 5 years when Bree will be in kindergarten and Danielle will be 12 and I hope they will still treat their little sister with love and kindness.

My love for my husband has double since the baby. He will sit up with her, change her, hold her while she is upset, so that I can rest or get something done. He is exhausted all the time, yet he still stays up to help and goes to work the next day. Being so tired we could be at each others throats, but we are doing everything we can to make the others life easier. I appreciate and love him all the more for how he is adjusting to our new life and family.

I was so afraid while I was pregnant that bringing the baby home would make things more uncomfortable and hard living here with my parents, but they have been helpful and understanding. My dad will wake the kids for me at 6:45 before he leaves so that I have time to feed the baby or just pull my tired behind out of bed. He often also gets them breakfast while I'm helping one get ready. My mom will hold Bree late at night or just keep me company while I'm trying to rock her to sleep. They both love holding and talking to the baby when ever they can. I'm grateful that they have this chance to see the baby so much and have appreciated their patience.

Our family has not attended church lately because of a swine flu outbreak and with Bree we just didn't want to chance it. But we have been reading our scriptures nightly and saying family prayer. We have also been doing Family Home Evening on a regular basis. These were things we always wanted to do, but never were able to do them regularly. I think this has been a significant change for me and now I look for more ways we can improve ourselves and our children.

I realize that things won't always be wonderfully happy, but for now I'm content on enjoying the little things that make up my daily life.

Quote of the moment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of
everything. .... They just make the best of everything."