
Friday after work our family ventured off to New Mexico to visit family. My new niece Addison was born in Dec and Brent has been the only one to get to see her. Because we have a family of 5 (soon to be 6), driving is always the cheaper way to go. Brent and I like to drive at night because the kids sleep for the majority of the time. We left the house at 5:30 and had ordered dinner at 4 Corners to pick up on our way out. It is about 2 minutes from my mom and dads. As we pull in to the parking lot Hannah states, "Are we there yet?" Seriously! We were in the car like 5 minutes! Brent and I busted up and let her know that we had a very, very, very long drive ahead of us.
Brent drove for 7 hours, stopping for the occaisional bathroom or gas breaks. I drove from 12am-1:30. Then Brent drove again until 4am. Because I'm pregnant and fall asleep at 8 now, we had decided that we would just stop if we had to. So, we pulled into a rest stop outside of Flagstaff, Arizona and slept in the car. I was VERY nervous about this at first, but I slept in back with the kids and Brent was in the passengers seat. We slept until about 6:30, got breakfast and then got back on the road. I drove for another 3 hours and then Brent finished up the trip. We arrived around 1pm, New Mexico time to Allen and Traci's. We were all very tired and the kids of course were wired! But we were very glad to have made it safe. The kids got along well with Lexi and were gentle around Addison. They were even more excited when they found out that we were staying the night for a few days! (It never even occured to me that they didn't realize this, but we don't spend the night at anyone elses house after a long drive, so why would we now?)
The rest of the day they played inside, outside, fed the horse, ruff housed with Allen, etc. I'm glad that we made the effort to come. My kids don't get to see this side of the family except for once or twice a year. We miss them greatly and are looking forward to a good visit.
3 comments:
How fun!!! I hope to be traveling through that part of the US soon!!!!
So glad you got to go visit...and have a great time! Fun memories!
jealous, so jealous. Miss all the Riddles! And congrats on #4! #3 is expected in Sept here!
Post a Comment