Thursday, March 10, 2011

Update on Bree

So, we made it through the winter with no pneumonia, no bronchitis, etc. We thought we were in the clear!  

Then Spring hit. Evidently the pollens in the air aggravate the respiratory system also. The doctor stressed that Bree is not allowed outside AT ALL and we had to increase her meds to 3 treatments a day, Singular in her morning cereal, and liquid Zyrtec just after breakfast. With all these meds I figured the doctor was just over-reacting. If Bree went outside for 20 minutes it wouldn't be that big of a deal.


I took her outside 3 times during the day for about 15-20 minutes each time. She seemed to do fine. No wheezing, no coughing, I thought "Home free baby!"

Around 1am my mommy ears hears her coughing and it isn't stopping. I jump out of bed and race in to see her turning blue and continuing to just cough. I found her inhaler and gave her three puffs, when there was finally some space in between each cough for her to get a breath. I took her out for a drink and then rocked her for a while, to listen as her breathing became peaceful and even again. 

I realized as I rocked her that I had been wrong. The pollens were stronger than I had thought. Calling the doctor the next day she explained that the pollens will settle and bunch together during the night and aggravate the lungs. Then as she lays on her chest, the pressure will actually close her small opening triggering the attack.

So my cute girl, who just loves being outside, now must stand at the window as she watches her older siblings ride bikes, run, play, swing, and do all the fun things that kids do outside in the spring. 

It is only a few months that she will not remember, but it breaks my heart just a little. I'll just keep praying that she will grow out of it and maybe next spring be running and playing outside too.

1 comment:

LWR said...

Our poor Aubree. It breaks G'ma's heart, too. It's a good thing sometimes that God doesn't let us remember the first few years of life! Hopefully, she'll get better with age. xox

Quote of the moment

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of
everything. .... They just make the best of everything."